Gums or gingiva is like the soil for the teeth. It is the gums which hold the teeth in place and is essential for the survival and maintenance of the teeth.
It is the soft tissue covering the roots of the teeth and alveolar bone. Common problems seen are:
- Gingivitis : This is a very common condition which causes redness and swelling in the gums. Sometimes it also leads to bleeding while brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis: When the inflammation and swelling spreads from the gums to the underlying connective tissue, it leads to further bone loss and teeth loosening. This generally when there is underlying bone loss around the teeth.
- Gingival or gum recession: It is another common problem wherein the gumline shifts down, thereby exposing the root of the tooth. The various reasons are gingival diseases, bruxism or grinding of teeth, pan and tobacco chewing habits and malocclusion. All the above conditions can be treated by a combination of non-surgical laser therapy and minor surgical procures. The above can result in several oral problems like sensitivity to hot and cold fluids, tooth mobility and eventually tooth loss. At Dr Kandhari’s Skin and dental clinic these procedures are carried out by our senior dentists and periodontist.
Treatment and Procedures
- Deep cleaning and Curettage : This is an extension of regular cleaning and polishing. Here we go in deeper under the gumline and over the root surfaces to clean thoroughly.
- Gingivoplasty and gingivectomy : At Dr Kandhari’s Skin and Dental Clinic, our expert periodontist performs both surgical and non surgical gingival procedures.
- Flap surgery : In case of severe gingival recession and bone loss, a gingival flap surgery is performed to restore the gum margin and health of the teeth.
Laser Assisted Surgery : Our periodontist performs highly precise, painless and almost bloodless laser surgeries. There are various advantages of this like minimal to no discomfort and no downtime. Also it is highly precise with minimal healing time and a rapid recovery. At Dr Kandhari’s Skin and Dental clinic we value natural teeth the most and make every attempt to save it.