Call Us Today
With the advent of dental implants we can now have fixed and highly aesthetic replacement of missing teeth without compromising on adjacent healthy teeth. Implants are a great option not only from an aesthetic point of view but also for the bone and gingival health of patients. Consult Dr. Gargi Kandhari for the best Dental Implants in Delhi.
Modern-day dental implants were discovered by Per-Ingvar Branemark, in the year 1952, he was a Swedish orthopaedic surgeon. A dental implant (also known as an endosseous implant or fixture) is a surgical component that interfaces with the bone of the jaw or skull to support a dental prosthesis such as a crown, bridge, denture, facial prosthesis or to act as an orthodontic anchor. The basis for modern dental implants is a biologic process called osseointegration, in which materials such as titanium forms an intimate bond to bone. The implant fixture is first placed so that it is likely to osseointegrate, then a dental prosthetic is added. A variable amount of healing time is required for osseointegration before either the dental prosthetic (a tooth, bridge or denture) is attached to the implant or an abutment is placed which will hold a dental prosthetic.
Dental implants are considered to be the gold standard of care for prosthetic replacement
of missing teeth. There are certain things which need to be considered before planning an
implant replacement like:
- Area or space available for replacement of missing teeth.
- The condition of the bone in the edentulous area including structure and hardness.
- Medical condition or health of the patient.
- Habits like smoking, tobacco chewing etc.
- Cost of treatment.
- Patient preference.
Dental implants have a good success rate if the above factors are taken into consideration. In a healthy patient with adequate bone height and width, implants are well accepted. Good and regular oral hygiene habits are of the utmost importance. Also, certain conditions like uncontrolled high blood pressure and diabetes is another deterring factor. So, if you are looking for an affordable Dental Implant Cost in Delhi, do get in touch with us today!
The steps involved in the straightforward placement of dental implants are:
- Formation of a customised treatment plan for an individual patient after
a thorough clinical and radiographic examination.
- After surgical planning first, the extractions are completed following which
implant placement is performed. In this, the actual implant made of titanium
is placed in the bone after local anaesthesia at the surgical site and adequate osteotomy.
- After completion of the surgical step the site is closed and the body is given time
to heal which is about 6 to 12 weeks.
- After the completion of the surgical step and adequate healing time,
the prosthetic step is initiated in which the implant head is once again exposed.
- Following this, the final impression is made and the bite of the patient is
recorded for the final prosthetic replacement that is either a crown or a bridge.
Like every surgical or dental procedure implants have certain pros and cons,
the advantages are:
- Dental implants are fixed in the bone and not removable.
- Implants have the best aesthetics and appear like natural teeth.
- They maintain the integrity of the jaw bone and soft tissues.
- They are very comfortable for the patient for chewing and mastication.
- Adjacent healthy teeth are untouched unlike a fixed bridge.
- Patient can get a new tooth or teeth in a single sitting with Immediate loading.
The disadvantages are:
- Regular cleaning and maintenance of the implant and surrounding tissues are
very important or else it can result in implant failure due to infection in the gums.
- Implant rejection: In some cases, the body does not accept the implant as a
foreign body reaction. This results in implant loosening and loss.
- In rare cases, if the implant is placed too close or impinging on vital
structures or nerves it can lead to pain and partial paraesthesia or loss
of sensation in the surrounding soft tissues.
- In certain cases, implant surgery is not straightforward and requires
certain surgical manipulations like:
- Ridge augmentation or enhancement where there is deficient bone height
and width due to bone loss. Various techniques used are bone grafting or enhancement
using bone graft material.
- Sinus lift: In certain cases when the sinus margin is very
close or is low, that is close to the ridge margin, in such cases first the
sinus floor needs to be lifted or elevated to create space in the bone to place the implant.
Your search for the Best Implantologist in Delhi ends here! Contact Dr. Gargi Kandhari today!